- Category: Campaign Issues
- Published on Tuesday, 21 October 2008 00:00
- Hits: 5222
1. Improved planning and management;
2. Adequate maintenance of generation, transmission and distribution assets;
3. Increased investment in new hydro power stations (small and large) given the great generating potential our country has. This is necessary so as to meet domestic demand and the huge export opportunity.
4. In order to promote competition, efficiency, fairness and increase in supply, we will encourage more private and public investments in the improvement of existing and development of new hydro power stations (generation), transmission and distribution assets, ensure that customers
are charged fair tariffs, and that they only pay for the electricity used.
5. Further, we will promote solar, wind and other environmentally acceptable energy sources.UPND will reduce the cost of fuel and electricity to affordable levels to enable a bus Driver to make more many and reduce the cost of transporting goods. This will also make landlords to reduce the cost of house rentals.
further the UPND will ensure that Government retains particular oversight and involvement (where necessary in partnership with the private/public sectors) in resources/assets such as energy-uranium, electricity, oil and gas for strategic and revenue for developmental reasons.
Water and Sanitation
Zambia is host to over two thirds of fresh waters in Southern Africa and yet the majority of its Citizens do not have easy access to clean drinking water. Sanitation is another serious challenge. Houses get flooded because of poor drainage system, breeding epidemics such as cholera and other water borne diseases.
UPND wants sanitation of good quality for all. For example: markets, working places, compounds and other residential areas should be kept clean, have proper drainage, reliable water supply and working toilets.